Wednesday, August 23, 2006

 

The Bottom of the World


23 August -- I made it here yesterday after a 5.5hour flight from Christchurch, New Zealand. We landed our C17 on the Ice Runway called Pegasus, about 18miles from town. It was breathtaking, my first view of the continent with the Mountains in the background and the first slivers of light for the season. The arrival temp was -28F without windchill. Yep, a wee bit cold. This is a pic of nacreous or mother of pearl looking clouds that my friend KB, from Kwaj, took a few weeks back. More to come.

Comments:
Glad to hear you've landed safely!
 
Congratulations on your arrival! What a beautiful picture. Looking forward to many more. So happy to hear your there safe and sound!
 
Hey Amber,
Again I think it is awesome that you are in Antarctica. I love reading about your adventure and can't wait to write my own (this is Skippy). Stay safe and don't forget to tell your friends about me!
 
Wow what a beautiful pic, but -28° holy cow!
 
YEAH!!!! Glad you made it safely! Keep warm and drink lots of beer!
 
Glad you made it safely. Can you send me some of that -23 air so I can put some inside my cast? Send more pictures for us home stricken soles.
 
Thanks for all of the posts everyone, I really love hearing from people. I've got pictures to upload just haven't had the time to sit down and do that. The guy I'm replacing leaves Saturday so very little time to crossover with him. Today is really cold, it's the damn wind that's the killer. Cheers!
 
That picture is beautiful! Glad you made it safe! Keep the pictures coming!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?