Friday, October 27, 2006

 

A Typical Day?!?!

27 October -- So, I've been asked to elaborate a bit more on a typical day in the life, along with some more information on what I do for work. Here ya go...

5:45 -- Alarm goes off
6:00 -- Hit the gym
7:15 -- In the shower, plenty of hot water and no waiting. At South Pole Station they only get two 3-minute showers per week!!!
7:30 -- Swing by my roomie's office and pick up my coffee, yep she kindly makes it for me, grab breakfast to go in my tupperware that I was instructed to bring with
7:45 -- Roll into work (yeah, usually about 15-mins late)
8:00-12:00 -- Various taskings, emails, meetings, Incident Investigations (we had 7 accidents last week, 4 serious) Usually I work with Supervisors on the investigations helping to determine root cause and identifying suitable corrective measures. Training, audits, consultations, walk-arounds, etc.
12:00-1:00 -- Lunch where I battle hundreds of people in the chow line. Maneuvering through the area feels like driving in city traffic, watch all directions so you don't get knocked down. Get there early because they run out of dishes, some people eat directly of trays because there aren't enough clean plates.
1:00-5:45 -- More taskings. They are big on meetings here, shocker, so we do a lot of those. Right now I'm especially busy with our Mass Casualty Incident Team. I am the Security Team Lead (no, this wasn't in the job description) and we're trying to gear up for a Drill scheduled for next week.
5:45 -- head home to change, rest, watch the news
7:00 -- Chow time. The food here is rather good, I think. They sometimes put those humiliated grapes in the bread and granola, that's about all I can complain about.
8:00 -- Some form of entertainment, usually soccer, bowling, ceramics, silversmithing, wine bar, ping pong, spades, science lecture, etc.
10:00 -- Stroll back to room, read and write letters
11:00 -- Night night

Now, I have picked up two extra jobs to help stay busy. The work days are long but because of no commute, etc. we do tend to have a lot more free/me time. I work at the Video Counter once per week. I checkout movies for folks, these are free rentals by the way. I also handout liquor. We are on a rationing system. People can buy up to: 12 beers or 2 bottles of wine or 1 bottle of liquor or 6 beers and 1 bottle of wine. I like handing out the liquor, tells me a bit about the people's personality. I also work as a bartender at the Coffee House a.k.a Wine Bar. Again, about 1 shift per week or every 10-days. It's fun to make latte, cappucino, mocha, espresso and serve wine. The atmosphere is so great, like a loungey-cabin. It's nice to make a few extra bucks in tips too; again, very social -- good way to meet people.

That's all for now!

Comments:
MY GIRL! What a good day on the ice. You keep on goin' with your stories and socialite life! LOVE IT!

XOXO

Sassy
 
Thanks Sassy, great to catch up the other day. Will ring again soon. Happy Halloween! xo
 
Thanks, Amber! I'm so glad to know what you're doing every day.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?