Friday, October 20, 2006

 

Welcome to McMurdo



20 October -- A couple of pictures I "borrowed" off of our I-Drive. One shows a C-17 landing on our Sea Ice Runway. The other shows the "Welcome to MacTown" sign.

Comments:
Did Shackelton ever pass through or near McMurdo?
 
Yep, he did. His hut, called "Discovery Hut" still stands on the Hut Point Peninsula here in McMurdo Sound. I haven't had a tour of it yet but hope to soon. I will post pictures of Scott's Tera Nova Hut soon. These huts are essentially frozen in time, immaculate preservation.
 
Okay, correction. Scott built the hut on the first trek down when Shackleton was his Lieutenant. Shackleton was here during Scott's first record trek South in 1902. He was here again in 1908 when Shackleton came within 100-miles of the Pole. Same year the Norwegians made it all the way. Scott made it all the way too but then died on the return. Sigh, too much history!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?