Thursday, November 16, 2006

 

Cape Royds


A friend of mine, Delaney -- you might recognize him in some prior posts -- went out on a Boondoggle on Sunday up the Sea Ice to Cape Royds. They rode snowmobiles the entire way. Cape Royds is where Shackleton's Hut remains and is also near one of the Adelie Penguin Rookeries. It's pretty unique to get up there to see the Hut and Rookery. The team that Delaney went up there with was part of the Field Science Group and they were finishing up the flagging of the vehicle route. I would say it's unlikely that I'll have the same opportunity but I'm glad to share these pics none the less. I am CONVINCED that I will have my Penguin hey-day soon though, I can feel it coming....

I find it truly amazing that these huts, of which I now know of 3 between Scott and Shackleton, are standing in near the same condition as when the famous explorers were last here over 100 years ago. The wood here does not seem terribly susceptible to rot (lack of moisture, lack of bugs). I guess the biggest risk is really snow drifts which can get so large during the winter months that buildings are lost, completely submerged in seas of snow.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?