Saturday, December 09, 2006
The Pressure Ridges


Last weekend I was selected in a drawing to go on the First Pressure Ridges Tour. These pressure ridges exist where the McMurdo Ice Shelf meets the Sea Ice. The dynamic wave action against the relatively stable ice shelf causes these giant mounds of ice/snow to buckle forcing them upwards. The Pressure Ridge Trail is maintained by our Kiwi Friends at Scott Base. RPSC employees hadn't been allowed out on this trail for several seasons. Apparently 4-years ago some people went out on the trail, harrassed some seals, and then posted the pictures on our Common Drive. Genius! I can't tell you how many issues/problems have arisen due to people posting pictures on our Common Drive. Our Tour Guide was Peggy. She works at our Berg Field Center (BFC) which services material/equipment for the various Field Camps. Peggy is also our resident Barista and trained me when I first started working at the Coffee House.