Wednesday, January 03, 2007

 

Amber and Emperor's


FINALLY... I had my own, up-close and personal encounter with Emperors. My friends from the Electric Shop, Wade and Lizzie, let me tag along on a trip out to Pegasus Airfield which is about 18-miles out of town. You might recall that Pegasus is where I landed back on 22 Aug. I hadn't been back to the airstrip since that day. Anyway, there are a few Emperors out there molting. Yeah, I didn't know that penguins molted but yep they do. The weather was pretty crappy the day we went out, near Condition-2 but it had to be braved for our penguin sighting.



Comments:
Yay!

Finally!

We've been waiting so long! (Not only you...we've been waiting too!)

Wanda and I have the picture printed out and hanging at our desks. We're so excited!
 
Auntie, great picture of you with the penguin. Be very quiet and gentle and touch one. I miss you please please please I want you. Love Caleb
 
Amber, I've been reading a book about Antarctica and thought you migh be interested to know that one of the polar explorers ( I think it was Amundsen) was afraid that thy might not find their supply stash with only a black flag as a marker. So, they surrounded it with a stonehenge like circle of upright, frozen penguins. So many uses.
 
Seriously Em -- I saw 15 Adelie Penguins yesterday on my run out to Willie Field. They are smaller and much more active/cute to watch.

Caleb the little Adelie's came right over to me yesterday. I didn't touch one. Uncle Wise keeps telling me to tackle one but I think that would be too hard to do.

Vic, you're gonna know more about the Antarctic Explorer History than me. I've only read 1 book thus far. I like the use of frozen penguins, very ingenious.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?