Thursday, January 18, 2007
MacTown vs. The Kiwi's


Two weeks ago the MacTown Ruggers played the Killer Kiwi's. It was a close game with the Kiwi's scoring 4-tries and MacTown with none. Allegedly in the history of the event, I don't even know how long it's been going on, the US Team has never scored a single point or "try" as they are called?!?! This could be myth as well but this year it hailed true. This game is marked each year in the Guiness Book of World Records as the most Southerly International Rugby Event in the world. Each year they move the field several inches and continue to break the record. The Kiwi's led off the event by performing the "Haka" or traditional Maori Dance. It was very surreal to be watching this group of men/women dance the Haka with this backdrop of Mt. Erebus and looking out to a vast expanse of white nothing-ness across the Ice Shelf. I mean was I really sitting on the ice, Big Red doubles as a great cushion by the way, watching a rugby match in Antarctica?!?! Surreal comes to mind a lot down here. The weather was likely the nicest of the season, little wind and clear blue skies. I even managed to get a bit of a tan. The hat/sunglass tan marks are a great look.