Monday, February 12, 2007
Toastiness -- PG13 Rating?

They refer to "toast" as someone who's become burnt/spent/done from their time On-Ice. I remember my winterover friends talking about it when I arrived in August all peppy and excited. In fact, I remember looking at their faces, the whitest I had seen, with dark circles under their eyes and thought "wow" that's some kind of tired. Well, It's possible I've become a bit toasted myself. I am often irritable, I don't want to meet new people, I drink alcohol every day, I haven't slept without Tylenol PM in months often followed by a chaser, I am obsessed with walking barefoot in the grass, I find myself choking back tears but I don't even know why, I want to sleep until I get on the plane, all of my good friends are driving me crazy and I them, I now have to spend all day convincing myself to go to the gym, I hate the cold, I loathe big red, I haven't shaved my legs since New Year's -- the other day I could feel my legs hair blowing in the wind on my run back to the dorm (smile honey). Yeah, okay so maybe this sounds like depression, I don't know. This is definitely some kind of isolation and they let some people do this for 14-months straight -- WTF?!?! All-in-all I love this place and my experience but I feel obligated to share some of the physical/mental challenges one faces in such a remote and desolate environment.
Followed is a toastiness self-test that was posted on our I-Drive this morning.
Toastiness Self-Test:
+1 The cold no longer bothers you.
+1 Developing a strange attraction with all things green.
+1 You have a piss bottle.
+1 You don’t know those new faces in the galley and you don’t want to know them.
+1 You’re not sure what day it is.
+2 You don’t care that you don’t know what day it is.
+2 You find yourself obsessively applying hand cream even while talking to others.
+2 It’s summer and you leave the bar at closing time fully expecting it to be dark outside.
+2 You find yourself seriously considering career options here.
+2 You’re not sure what season it is.
+2 You have a favorite kind of Chapstick.
+3 Still wearing big red in December because you know that it is just going to get cold again and besides, all of your stuff is somewhere in those pockets.
+3 Mainbody people frighten you.
+3 Penguins no longer seem cute.
+3 It’s 2 a.m. and you are in the lounge staring at the ice.
+4 You have ever had to puke in your piss bottle.
+4 Dark rings around the eyes develop their own gravity.
+4 You no longer care about the McMurdo gossip.
+4 You answer every question with “Go fuck yourself”.
+5 You have pondered the notion of throwing yourself into Erebus.
+5 You have considered barbecuing seal.
+5 You take your sleeping pill with a whiskey chaser.
+6 The peas are talking to you.
+20 You come up with a toastiness self test.
Bonus
+ X You check your donut of misery more than once per day. (add 2 points per time over 1)
Totals:
0-10 Not even close FNGI.
11-20 You can see the cliff approaching but are powerless to stop it.
20+ Welcome to toasty land.
Comments:
<< Home
Oh sweetie, that sounds pretty intense! Well it must be nice to see some other people and something that's not completely frozen outside. Welcome back to the world!
Heather
Heather
thanks heather, it is nice to be back in the real world. right now antarctica seems like some sort of dream. part of me wonders if it really just happened or not.
Post a Comment
<< Home
