Sunday, July 01, 2007
Banks Peninsula Trek
So after a few days of decompressing, drinking beer on tap, running in the garden, walking barefoot in the park, eating great Indian food, watching a movie in a theater, eating ice cream, mailing stuff home, packing my pack, wearing summer clothes -- I headed east of CHC to a place called Akaroa. Per the suggestion of my good friend Cindy, I took the bus over to this French Oasis on the coast to hike the well-known Banks Peninsula Trekk. New Zealand is full of all these treks, trails and Great Walks. I really didn't know too much about them before I went. This particular trek is one of the more expensive because it's privately managed and maintained, along with provides huts and small stores along the way to purchase food from. So, while I was still Down Under I was able to go online and book my spot on the adventure. There were two options a 3-day trek or a 5-day trek, cost was one factor but time was the biggest for me. I needed to beat feet to get back to CHC to start my 2-week Magic Bus Tour which would take me all over the North/South Island in order to make my flight to FIji on March 6th when I would see my hubby after 7-months away. Woo hoo. Back to the trek for now though... The pics are of sheep of which there is no shortage in New Zealand. My friend Beth was telling me this before I left Colorado for NZ but you don't really get it until you arrive in Kiwi Land. Holy crap, what a lot of sheep. The harbor looks much like a lake but is actually a peninsula out to the Sea.